At the beginning of August, I started reading a Psalm a day. Weeks before, I was asking God to increase my confidence in Him. I decided to use an older Bible that I had not used in a while and when I turned to Psalm 1, I read many notes that I had written in the Bible years earlier. One of the notes reads: “Confident believers are happy because their faith is adequate to provide them total trust. (The Upper Room Disciplines 2000, May 29).” What a great confirmation that God was going to increase my confidence in Him.
Also, a Women’s Bible study came available right around then, “A Sweeter the Honey Study of the Psalms”. I signed right up. It was filled with so many good and tasty treats from God’s Word, Yummy! (Taste and see that the LORD is good, oh the joy of those who trust in Him. Psalm 34:8). It was really a blessing and truly a help to increase my confidence in God.
One of our assignments was to write a Psalm. We were given a tool (below) based on Psalm 18. The day that the ladies in my class shared our Psalms, I challenged my Facebook friends and family to create a Psalm of their own. Several people asked me for tips and tools to start their Psalms, so here they are.
- Pray that God will help you.
- Be honest with yourself and God – open up.
- Take down notes of Bible verses that minister to you, your life verse or other verses.
- Be creative – whatever that looks like to you.
- Spend time silently with God asking Him to speak to you.
- Listen to things that others say that encourage you or speak to you.
- Use the tool below as a guide.
- Have fun!
Believe it or not, you might be surprised with what comes through your writing time. After I read mine aloud to the group, one of the leaders said, “What a beautiful Psalm of Confidence”. So I renamed it. I had not told her that I desired to have more confidence in God. But that is what came to light in the finished product through the process of writing.
This is just a tool. I will add my picture Psalm as well as my written Psalm below. Some of the ladies in my class wrote Psalms similar to the template, but others started with it and ended up with something far different. One lady set her Psalm to music and another lady had an Ebenezer (Rock of Victory or Memorial stone) which she had written on. You can paint or draw a picture, put together a collage of pictures or words. You can write a song or a story. Spend some time asking God what He would like you to do. I don’t draw very well, but I am inspirited (excited) that my picture actually looks like a treasure chest! Be creative!
Psalm 151 A Psalm of _________________ (your name)
- I love You, O Lord, my _____________________________(What/who is God to you, eg. Savior, Refuge, Counselor). The Lord is my _______________________, my ______________________ and my ____________________ because He _______________________________ (Write something God has done for you) I will praise Him.
- (Explain your situation, distress, enemy,….here, and write how it makes you feel) ____________________ ____________________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________________
- I trust You Lord with ______________________________________________ (Your situation, future, enemy, …) and know that You will hear me. Lord, give me victory over ______________________ _____________________________, give me strength for the battles/suffering that may lie ahead; and give me grace and mercy as I wait upon You.
- Lord, You delivered me by _________________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________________________________
- Lord, I praise You _______________________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________________________________
A Picture of my drawn Psalm: The LORD is my Treasure, my very Great Reward:
A Psalm of Confidence – Psalm 151
Beloved LORD and My God, my confidence and hope are in You. You are my Rock and my Refuge; You are my Shield and my Buckler. You are my Path and my Guide. You are my Light and my Life, apart from You there is nothing. You alone are my Provider, my Inheritance, my very Great Reward.
I am Your daughter, You have chosen me. In You alone will I trust; I will not lack anything and I will not be put to shame. Oh I long for the day that flesh and distractions no longer get in the way of a sweet time with You. Then I will fully know You and Your great love for me.
Thank You LORD that You hear me, that You communicate with me and respond to me. You hear me when I cry and You answer me.
God, I need You! Unless You come through, there is no hope (Tikvah) and the enemy will have won. He mocks me saying, “she will never recover from her ‘sacrifice’ or from debt she has accrued and will accrue.” The enemy taunts with lies saying I am not hireable where I can receive a decent wage and benefits. He says no decent vehicle will be found for me to own, and there’s no place to call home. He says all the men who follow You are married or too busy to want to be with “the likes of me”.
I praise You LORD, You catch me in a net of Your mercy and grace so that I will not fall into the enemy’s web of lies. I praise You LORD, Your Word illuminates the darkest places and brings truth to light.
LORD, there is no one like you to help the powerless against the enemy. Help me, LORD my God, for I rely on You, and in Your name (Ha Shem) I have come against the vast lies of the enemy. LORD, You are my God; do not allow the enemy to be victorious in his plot to ruin me. Do not allow anyone to look at my circumstances and say that it is because You do not exist or that You do not care.
LORD You are the Cornerstone and Foundation. You are an Anchor in the storm. You are the All-Powerful Creator God and Conquering King. With one command from Your mouth, LORD the enemy will be put to death.
Abba Father, LORD Jesus, Holy Spirit, You love me, You have a very good plan for me and You are in control! I am confident that I will see Your goodness in the land of the living.“You will show me the way of life, granting me the joy of your presence and the pleasures of living with you forever.” May those who do not know You see what You have done for me and know that You alone have moved on my behalf.
So, consider yourself officially challenged by me to create a Psalm to God. Please share with me (and others) what you end up creating. May I also encourage you to give others the same challenge??? You never know what will come of it!
Also see the story and the Psalm from the “Sweeter than Honey Bible study continued… Challenged to write another Psalm.